Are you running an Apache server?
If you are then you would have been greeted by that horrible directory page more than once. Isn’t it time to get rid of the old to make way for the new? Give your Index pages a face lift with h5ai.
h5ai makes browsing directories on HTTP web servers more pleasant
h5ai is a modern replacement for the built in Index view for folder listings and it boast plenty of neat features. It is build with HTML5 Boilerplace, jQuery + Modernizr and can be implemented with just a few steps (2 in my case). It has been created by Lars Jung (@lrsjng) and he has a number of other useful libraries and tools, go check him out.
The design of h5ai is nice and minimal and uses CSS3 and sprinkles of JS to get things working. If you have JS turned off though it degrades nicely. There is a built in colorbox that enables you to view images on the fly and to top it all off there is a code syntax view so you can easily read things like JS and XML.
This definitely makes your index views easier to digest and easier to navigate around as there is a built in search and tree view.
There are plenty of optional features and extensions you can enable with h5ai as seen above where you can enable QR Codes on file hover. The whole install sits in one folder at the root of your site and all you need to do is get your server to add its index file to the index file list. Basically just add this line to your .htaccess
DirectoryIndex index.html index.php /_h5ai/server/php/index.php
Here are just some of the optional features that are available
- breadcrumb for the current directory, linked to all parent directories
- auto refresh
- custom header and/or footer for each directory
- select and download multiple files and folders at once, either as tar or zip archive
- filter function for the displayed files and folders
- folder sizes
- localization with a lot of languages already included
- link hover states between main view, breadcrumb and tree view
- display HTTP web server details
- image preview with keyboard support
- text file preview with Markdown rendering and keyboard support
- QR codes on hovering files
- sort files and folders
- status bar with additional information about files and folders
- thumbnails for images, pdfs and movies
- directory tree view
- display breadcrumb in the browser title
Know of any other cool scripts like this? Let me know so I can get them installed and featured on here.